Butterflies and moths belong to the order of Lepidoptera. Lepidoptera means 'with scaly wings'. You can see the tiny scales on a butterfly's wings under a microscope. The scales are arranged like tiles on a roof and give a butterfly its pattern and colour.
To make this craft, you will need:
- Butterfly mask printable template, copied onto thin card or paper
- Colouring and decorative materials
- Elastic or string
- Cut out mask and eye holes
- Colour in and decorate
- Make holes where the two small circles are on the wings
- Attach string or elastic to wear
- Flutter, fly and find some flowers!